Sunday, September 11, 2011

T minus 15 hours.

On August 13, as I was wrapping up a normal day at my summer internship, I received an email about being a food science ambassador to Taiwan. Just under a month later, I'm all packed and as ready as I can be for tomorrow's 15+ hour trip. It seems so surreal, the first time I leave the United States and it's not to Canada or Mexico, but to Taiwan, with a quick stop in Tokyo no less! Who would have guessed? (I knew that I got that passport for a reason!)

Dr. Bob McGorrin, the head of Oregon State University's Department of Food Science and Technology has helped to develop a relationship with Fu Jen University in Taipei. Fu Jen food science students have traveled to Oregon in the past, and one has even returned to complete a master's degree. This week, six OSU FST undergraduates including myself, will spend a week in Taipei touring the university, attending classes, visiting local food manufacturers, and exploring the city. We will also meet with their Dean, give a presentation about our department and the Food and Fermentation Science Club, and represent American students in general. I hope that we are up to the task!

Fortunately we have had some fantastic guidance from Angela, the above-mentioned graduate student, on what to expect in Taipei, as well as Dr. Yanyun Zhao, a professor of Fruit and Vegetable Processing. Taipei is 13 hours ahead of Oregon, meaning that we will arrive Tuesday evening, after leaving Portland Monday afternoon. I've been assured that there are ways to adjust quickly to an entirely new sleep schedule, but I'm not quite convinced!

The weather is supposed to be quite hot and humid, but having spent the summer in Minneapolis, I'm fairly certain I know what to expect. Of course I am prepared to be surprised! The forecast at the present is predicting thunderstorms for the next week. Hopefully we don't have too many outdoor activities planned!

I'm hoping to get a post up at least once per day while we are traveling. Of course, I don't really know how much free time we will have, so I apologize in advance for the quantity and quality of the posts! I will try to recruit other students to post as well, and will make sure to put up plenty of pictures. Now, I'd better go get a good night's sleep, Tomorrow is going to be a long day of traveling!

See you soon,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment